• A10 Warthog keeping the world safe for democracy

• The place for sharing and discussing videos.
The place for sharing and discussing videos.
 #103187  by SkeetDixon
 Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 pm
I was researching the A-10 and AC-130 yesterday.

A buddy in the military was telling a story about a fella he knows in the air force that got a medal recently. A squad was seeking out a hidden Taliban stronghold. They got ambushed and quickly were overrun by 50 Taliban fighters. Everybody was dying. This guy called in multiple airstrikes from an AC-130 and Apache's, some within 10 meters of their position. They made it to the checkpoint to get airlifted out of there, well some of them. Lots of dead Taliban fighters doe.
HolidayFriday liked this
 #103194  by HolidayFriday
 Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:43 pm
JohnnyP wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am
almostapathetic wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 am
It actually sounds like a fart when it fires.

Imagine the bad guys laughing at the fart sound...Then the rounds hit.
Rounds from the A10 are supersonic. They'd be dead before the sound reached them.
Not if they weren't the first target. It does seem to be just flying along farting :lol:

I'm just saying.
 #103207  by almostapathetic
 Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm
HolidayFriday wrote:

Not if they weren't the first target. It does seem to be just flying along farting :lol:

I'm just saying.
Exactly.

It looks like such slug of an aircraft. It is nice to see the military not overthinking it. The plane is just good enough, no need for stealth or speed. Instead put money in the guns... I bet it probably has backup to protect it when it does it's job.

Oh, and this...

HolidayFriday liked this
 #103388  by JohnnyP
 Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 am
almostapathetic wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:22 pm
HolidayFriday wrote:

I'm just saying.
Exactly.

It looks like such slug of an aircraft. It is nice to see the military not overthinking it. The plane is just good enough, no need for stealth or speed. Instead put money in the guns... I bet it probably has backup to protect it when it does it's job.

Oh, and this...

The A-10 was developed strictly as a ground support aircraft during the cold war. Its sole purpose was to kill as many Soviet tanks as it could which would have poured through the Fulda Gap by the thousands during the opening days of a US/NATO vs USSR/Warsaw Pact world war.

That would have lasted until the Soviet forces overwhelmed NATO forces due to shear number resulting in US using short range nukes to stop the advance. That quickly escalates into a massive nuclear exchange between the US and USSR. Bye human race...The End.
 #103390  by PlusCaChange
 Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 am
JohnnyP wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am
almostapathetic wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 am
It actually sounds like a fart when it fires.

Imagine the bad guys laughing at the fart sound...Then the rounds hit.
Rounds from the A10 are supersonic. They'd be dead before the sound reached them.
Now I'm sad thinking how they missed out on that experience. Terrorists seem to have so little joy in their lives it seems a shame to deny them even the small satisfaction of knowing the weapon shredding their bodies makes a funny sound.