• Oscars: Was the 'Best Picture' screwup planned or genuine mistake?

• Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.

Oscars: Was the 'Best Picture' screwup planned or genuine mistake?

Genuine mistake
45%
Planned
55%
 #1039  by Andulamb
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 am
There are two complete sets of envelopes that contain the names of the winners. One accountant has one set, another accountant has the other set. They're on opposite sides of the stage because the presenters enter from alternating sides.

The problem is, this means that when a presenter enters from one side, the accountant on the other side has to "burn" the envelope for that category. For example, for the Best Actress category, one accountant gave the envelope with Emma Stone's name in it to Leonardo DiCaprio, and on the other side of the stage the other accountant should have set aside his/her envelope for Best Actress. But for one reason or another, that didn't happen.

Then, for the next category, Best Picture, the accountant that didn't properly dispose of their Best Actress envelope gave that envelope to Warren Beatty. So then Beatty opens that envelope and is confused. It says Emma Stone, La La Land. Too bad he didn't look a little further -- the envelope said Best Actress in a Leading Role on it, and the card also had the category name in small print. He showed the card to Faye Dunaway and (maybe thinking Emma Stone produced the movie?), seeing "La La Land" on the card, she announces La La Land as the winner of Best Picture.

Then eventually there's mayhem, and the right envelope is found, and the correct winner is announced.

Dunaway didn't somehow get "La La Land" from a card that clearly said "Moonlight". And there weren't three Best Picture envelopes. There was an extra Best Actress envelope that never should have been given to Warren Beatty, and there were two Best Picture envelopes.

Pretty simple.

Now, does any of this mean this wasn't planned? No. I don't think it was. I don't think you destroy the integrity of your organization, its award show, or the accounting firm that handles the voting, just for a possible slight increase in future ratings.
 #1070  by jenjen411
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am
PepperPeanut wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm
palehorse95 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:01 pm
It's a good thing they fixed the problem. With all the veiled threats of racial upheaval for not being "black enough", if the Oscar had went to a caucasian majority film, they would be burning coffee shops about now.

Do you seriously believe that there would be violence if Moonlight didn't win?
He does because all he's doing is making a veiled shot at racial protests when the LARGE majority of them have been peaceful even while innocent people are losing their lives. Typical racist stance. If something wins it MUST be because they were forced. I'm sure this bigot didn't even see the movie and never will.
 #1086  by danman1
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm
jenjen411 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am
PepperPeanut wrote:
palehorse95 wrote:
It's a good thing they fixed the problem. With all the veiled threats of racial upheaval for not being "black enough", if the Oscar had went to a caucasian majority film, they would be burning coffee shops about now.

He does because all he's doing is making a veiled shot at racial protests when the LARGE majority of them have been peaceful even while innocent people are losing their lives. Typical racist stance. If something wins it MUST be because they were forced. I'm sure this bigot didn't even see the movie and never will.
Well given just last year what was that hashtag that was trending? Hmmm let me thing oh yeah I remember now #oscarssowhite or something right?!?! So no one could be the least bit suspicious of the fact the next year who wins win Best Picture and both Supporting Roles plus a bunch of other Oscars?. NAWWWW its just crazy racists right? How does a picture almost no one has heard of best a film that had a bazillion nominations. I kinow the consensus is that If you don't vote for Moonlight you must be a racist and that super liberal crowd can't have that on their chests now can they? ANY of the 9 films could win best picture its just funny how THAT one did. Might be a great film but a little independent nothing film beats out so many larger films? Ok - Oscars are mostly garbage anyway. That entire "We goofed" crap was 100% staged. Funny how much press has it gotten because of the "mistake". Pffft please.
 #1087  by palehorse95
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:
palehorse95 wrote:

I have this crazy tendency of taking threats as real unless proven otherwise, and there were many threats of protests/riots after they felt slighted in past awards presentations.
Given the race baiters' record for making good on threats of unrest, It's far from irrational to expect them to do otherwise when promised.
 #1091  by PepperPeanut
 Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 pm
palehorse95 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:
palehorse95 wrote:

I have this crazy tendency of taking threats as real unless proven otherwise, and there were many threats of protests/riots after they felt slighted in past awards presentations.

Given the race baiters' record for making good on threats of unrest, It's far from irrational to expect them to do otherwise when promised.

Can you show me an example of riots after award ceremonies where someone didn't win?

Also, "race baiters' record for making good on threats of unrest"? Can you tell me what you're talking about?