• Why do people like Game of Thrones?

• Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
 #58505  by PlusCaChange
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 am
Profundity manifests itself to us in proportion to our understanding.

I frankly don't care if you appreciate GoT or not. You uncharacteristically asked an interesting question so I decided to answer because explaining things can be a good mental exercise but as Dr. Johnson observed, "I have given you an explanation but I can not give you an understanding".
Concerno liked this
 #58509  by cunnalingus
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 am
I also enjoy deep thinking. Sometimes when I go camping I sit in my chair and stare up at the stars and I wonder if somewhere out there in the vastness of space some aliens with four tits are getting it on.
Demeter liked this
 #58510  by Concerno
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 am
I read the books first so I don't really know why someone who has only seen the TV series likes it. The books are written in a reasonably good style and unusually for fantasy, are character-driven with characters who are not only complex and morally ambiguous but Rashomon-like, appear quite different depending on the POV of the various characters central to each chapter.

The other thing is the plot is a quilt of actual historical snippets which gives it a different, more realistic flavor because real events will always be stranger than a plot conceived in an individual imagination.

Some of this comes through in the dramatization, perhaps that is the attraction. Certainly mere well produced exotic sex and violence would not explain it, there are many examples of that which have flopped.
This, I guess. The books sells like crazy on the second hand market.
 #58512  by PlusCaChange
 Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 am
Like I said, I'm coming to it after having read the books. I can't pretend to see the TV show with new eyes. I wouldn't call 'A Song of Ice and Fire' one of the most profound works of English literature but it shines by comparison to 'Sherlock' (or the Sherlock Holmes stories, which I enjoyed very much) or 'Dr Who'.