• VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS

• Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
 #68243  by Demeter
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:37 am
I finished my homework just in time to make it to FINALLY SEE VALERIAN tonight.

I don't know what the hell people were talking about with the bad reviews. It was GORGEOUS, and the plot wasn't bad either. It was actually pretty good. BETTER THAN AVATAR. I liked it way more than Avatar actually - it was way prettier. I'm so glad I got to see it in theatres and I think I'm going to go again if I can. It was so beautiful. Most beautiful film I've ever seen in fact. I have no clue why more people didn't see it when it came out.

It was way better than Beauty and the Beast (and I'm a huge fan of the original Beauty and the Beast). Beauty and the Beast broke records I think when it came out - why the fuck didn't Valerian? The aesthetics are unlike any other movie I've seen before. They need to be showered with awards.

Valerian is sooooo much fucking better than SO many big box office hits. It's literally a bazillion times a trillion better than fucking Iron Man, better than Spiderman, better than probably every movie with Matthew McConaugay (although it does seem he's improved as an actor/started getting better roles), better than anything with Sandra Bullock, better than every single romantic comedy. Why are people so dumb they actually skipped watching this absolute work of art?
cunnalingus liked this
 #68267  by cunnalingus
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 am
I wouldn't normally do this in her defense but everyone has different tastes in movies. Who gives a shit really what a movie rating site says as long as you like the movie why should it matter? Hell I know i've liked movies that rated low on rotten tomatoes and bombed at the box office. I've also seen movies that have been box office hits and scored high on rotten tomatoes and I thought they were complete horseshit movies.
Kumacho, Demeter liked this
 #68268  by Hakik
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 am
cunnalingus wrote:
I wouldn't normally do this in her defense but everyone has different tastes in movies. Who gives a shit really what a movie rating site says as long as you like the movie why should it matter? Hell I know i've liked movies that rated low on rotten tomatoes and bombed at the box office. I've also seen movies that have been box office hits and scored high on rotten tomatoes and I thought they were complete horseshit movies.
True. But this one really looks like shit.
 #68270  by Kumacho
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 am
Hakik wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 am
cunnalingus wrote:
True. But this one really looks like shit.
It sounds like a turd that they tried to passoff with effects. You can't polish a turd, but with CGI you can sure make one look pretty fucking good.

She is just easily distracted by window dressing (i.e. Shiny things).
Stolen from my favorite strip.

<edit> Oh fuck. Cunnalingus likes it too. This is a paradox, these two non-conflicting opinions from these two particular people can't exist in a reasonable and rational universe. "The big implosion" (opposite of the big bang) is imminent thus setting into motion the end of the known universe.

Way to fucking go Cunnalingus.
 #68282  by Demeter
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:06 am
You like that gay ass comic strip but have a bias against Valerian? Figures.

You and Hakik haven't explained why you think it's bad other than the ratings it got and how many people saw it. I'd be willing to bet you don't even know why you don't want to see it.

I can think of one or two things in the trailers that made me think maybe the bad ratings were accurate, but in the actual film, they worked.

First was the line "Clearly you've never met a woman." In the trailer it looks cliche as fuck without the context to go with it. But in the film she's talking to these three creatures saying how predictable men are. And after she says that she fires a gun. So it works. Second was the acting. Wasn't sure I was going to be a fan of the main actors but they did just fine. Again, infinitely better than Iron Man, better than so many popular films.

But honestly, I reeeeally fucking hated Iron Man. But I'm using it as a point. I mean they not only made one Iron Man - at that point they should have realized it was garbage and been embarrassed to be associated with it - but they made SEQUELS. FUCKING SEQUELS.

I would beg for a sequel to Valerian. But even though Iron Man had a gigantic budget, I would beg to NOT see the sequels.