• Just saw Donnie Darko for the first time.

• Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
Discuss your favorite movie or TV show here. Looking for something to watch? Get your recommendations inside.
 #70497  by Demeter
 Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm
kocher wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:44 pm
It took a second viewing, but yeah I got it.
happysock wrote:Yes. Watch it again.

Then watch jacob's ladder.
Can you guys explain it to me? So many things don't make sense to me or it feels like it's missing parts that are supposed to explain it. Like Frank is really fucking confusing to me.
Last edited by Demeter on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #71144  by dropofahat
 Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 am
Demeter wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm
Can you guys explain it to me? So many things don't make sense to me or it feels like it's missing parts that are supposed to explain it. Like Frank is really fucking confusing to me. And then the old lady was like a Chekhov's gun that never went off but if it did it probably would have explained everything and that's frustrating to me.
It's VERY complex, and almost none of it is in the theatrical release - there was a tiny bit of detail in the Director's Cut, and the rest was in websites and a fictional book.

http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/

I like it when a movie challenges me to figure it out; I don't like it when it's frickin' impossible to figure a movie out without all kinds of research.

Which is a shame, because I liked a lot about Donnie Darko - but the overly (and unnecessarily) complicated explanation is, IMHO, too cumbersome to be satisfying.
Demeter liked this