• Energy

  • This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #49958  by Demeter
 Tue May 16, 2017 5:38 pm
Hi. How do you wake yourself up when you're extremely tired but have to get stuff done?

It's finals right now for me and I have essays and a lot of studying to do. Yesterday I drank like four energy drinks and I had to fight the urge to vomit and pass out at school. And last night I finally got sleep - from like 4 am to 11 am. That should have been plenty of sleep but 3 hours later I'm tired again. Wanted to take a nap but I couldn't fall asleep.

Which brings me to my next question - what do you do when you want to fall asleep but can't? After staying awake so long when I wanted to sleep I lost the ability to fall asleep. It's brutal.

I recently realized I still have myxedema on my whole body, which for those who don't know is swelling caused by Hashimoto's disease (if you're curious if you might have it, try pinching your skin - if you can't pinch, you probably have it). And last night I was feeling my neck and my goiter is very enlarged. Fortunately for me it's enlarged on the sides so it's not very obvious unless you feel around my neck. So I think I've just been on the wrong dose ever since my thyroid hormones were checked. I mean - it definitely helped me a lot, but I think I need to up my dose. Unfortunately with Hashimoto's disease your thyroid hormones go up and down during the day, so you have to get your blood tested when it's up in order to get the correct dose. I know my antibodies were ridiculously high, and my TSH levels were high, but I was pretty much on the verge of death back then so I still think it was when my TSH levels had dropped down that I was tested.

I think this is also the reason I'm so damned tired right now. It's gotten out of control again.
 #49960  by cunnalingus
 Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm
I like to snort cocaine when I need to stay up late. Really any upper will keep you up at night.
 #49969  by kocher
 Tue May 16, 2017 7:23 pm
I just take B12 vitamins every once in a while. I really don't need to take much for energy.
 #49971  by Demeter
 Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm
My B12 levels have been above the normal amount every time I've gotten a blood test done. Vitamin D is the only thing I get deficient in.

I took some B12 today though, as well as some Vitamin D and some turmeric to fight inflammation. I think the inflammation causes me fatigue, and it doesn't help that I've been eating gluten even though I'm intolerant to it.

I have to get an allergy test done one of these days because certain foods will make me really tired. Gluten definitely will make me tired, and then I suspect corn does similar things to my body because if I eat chips or corn tortillas or corn flakes I don't feel so great afterwards.

My body is a pain in the ass. So jealous of people without autoimmune disorders.
 #49980  by Demeter
 Tue May 16, 2017 9:33 pm
almostapathetic wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 pm
I eat a proper omni diet so i don't have such problems.
Haha, good one.

Except I had Hashimoto's disease since I was a kid and it's genetic. And the Vitamin D thing I've always had an issue with, long before I went vegan, because Hashimoto's disease makes you sensitive to cold so I'm always fully covered and get little sun on my body. I also wear sunscreen on my face to prevent aging, so I get basically no Vitamin D from the sun. Gotta get it from mushrooms and fortified foods like plant based milk (cow milk is fortified with vitamin D too so don't pretend it's a good source naturally).

You might not have vitamin deficiencies or an autoimmune disease but you've got issues I would never trade my health problems for.
 #50008  by mrsquirtlejeans
 Wed May 17, 2017 1:00 am
Demeter wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm
My B12 levels have been above the normal amount every time I've gotten a blood test done. Vitamin D is the only thing I get deficient in.

I took some B12 today though, as well as some Vitamin D and some turmeric to fight inflammation. I think the inflammation causes me fatigue, and it doesn't help that I've been eating gluten even though I'm intolerant to it.

I have to get an allergy test done one of these days because certain foods will make me really tired. Gluten definitely will make me tired, and then I suspect corn does similar things to my body because if I eat chips or corn tortillas or corn flakes I don't feel so great afterwards.

My body is a pain in the ass. So jealous of people without autoimmune disorders.

I'll gladly give you the D.
 #50011  by Demeter
 Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 am
I can't sleep again. This is torture. So tired but can't sleep. I could cry.
mrsquirtlejeans wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:00 am
Demeter wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm
My B12 levels have been above the normal amount every time I've gotten a blood test done. Vitamin D is the only thing I get deficient in.

I took some B12 today though, as well as some Vitamin D and some turmeric to fight inflammation. I think the inflammation causes me fatigue, and it doesn't help that I've been eating gluten even though I'm intolerant to it.

I have to get an allergy test done one of these days because certain foods will make me really tired. Gluten definitely will make me tired, and then I suspect corn does similar things to my body because if I eat chips or corn tortillas or corn flakes I don't feel so great afterwards.

My body is a pain in the ass. So jealous of people without autoimmune disorders.

I'll gladly give you the D.
Thank you, but I already have a large bottle of vegan Vitamin D I haven't even been using.
 #50012  by Concerno
 Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 am
Demeter wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 am
I can't sleep again. This is torture. So tired but can't sleep. I could cry.


Maybe you should try quetiapine for your sleeping problems. It's not addictive in any way and it induces a sleep that actually feels natural. It will probably help with your mood as well.
 #50013  by Demeter
 Wed May 17, 2017 2:46 am
Concerno wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:23 am
Demeter wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 am
I can't sleep again. This is torture. So tired but can't sleep. I could cry.


Maybe you should try quetiapine for your sleeping problems. It's not addictive in any way and it induces a sleep that actually feels natural. It will probably help with your mood as well.
Just looked at a couple studies saying it's not recommended for insomnia because of potential adverse effects, like weight gain which I really don't want. I might bring up my sleep problems to my psychiatrist in about a week when my next appointment is and see what he says. Although after finals it shouldn't be such an issue. I think the problem is mostly due to 1. my Hashimoto's disease making me tired which I also plan on addressing at my next doctor's appointment also in about a week or so. 2. the fact that I've been forcing myself to stay awake when I want to sleep so then I have a hard time sleeping even when I want to.

After finals I've decided to take a break from school and focus on getting a new job and moving to a new city, among other important things in my life that I haven't been able to focus on with school taking up my time. I'll be on my own schedule so this shouldn't be a real problem until I get a job.