• Vegan thread

• This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #69310  by PlusCaChange
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am
Doing the math I must correct myself, it would take 12 years for a pair of pigs to cover the earth's surface assuming 2.7 million pigs to the square mile. On the thirteenth year however they would be 10 deep. You could gain some time before the flood of pigs engulfed everything by storing them in the oceans, though I'm not sure how they would feel about that. Filling observable space with pigs would take a bit longer.
 #69314  by Hakik
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:51 pm
joecaca wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:10 am
Live b-hole hour on tinychat in 50 minutes
Just so you know, everyone is on tinychat impatiently waiting for you.
 #69315  by HolidayFriday
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:51 pm
PlusCaChange wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am
Doing the math I must correct myself, it would take 12 years for a pair of pigs to cover the earth's surface assuming 2.7 million pigs to the square mile. On the thirteenth year however they would be 10 deep. You could gain some time before the flood of pigs engulfed everything by storing them in the oceans, though I'm not sure how they would feel about that. Filling observable space with pigs would take a bit longer.
But you're "doing the math" on an entirely different subject - a totally different train of thought. By what you're saying, we could breed another twenty or fifty million more than we could possibly eat and slaughter them for posterities sake. After all, we're keeping the planet from being over run by pigs.

We're breeding them by the millions - bringing them into this world - it's not fair to say that we're controlling the overpopulation of pigs by eating them. :lol:

Take the abortion example you used: what if we created a medical facility where we made test tube babies by the millions and killed them? We couldn't really say that we're controlling the population explosion by doing that.
 #69318  by PlusCaChange
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 pm
But you're "doing the math" on an entirely different subject
No, this is the rate they would reproduce if we didn't interfere with them. The only thing we do to make the rate faster is make sure more of them survive by protecting them from other predators and diseases and by insuring they have enough food.

We could of course stop them from breeding by interfering with their fertility sterilizing them or forcing birth control on them but if vegans believe animals are deserving of the same moral consideration as people wouldn't that be the same as force sterilizing the mentally handicapped? Whether you eat them or forcibly restrict their reproduction you are treating them as not morally equivalent to humans, the only question is how not equivalent they are.
 #69326  by Demeter
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm
Poor HolidayFriday is actually trying to respond logically to this nutter. I've just stopped reading it entirely.

Also @JohnnyP that's a myth. It's been shown many times that soy has no effect on male hormone levels. If you're concerned about that, stop eating animal products. Animal products have REAL estrogen. Soy only has phytoestrogens. Milk is what actually gives you man boobs.
 #69331  by PlusCaChange
 Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:35 pm
I've just stopped reading it entirely.
Not surprising, maintaining your illusions requires you to ignore reality
Concerno liked this
 #69463  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:36 am
I think what veganism really comes down to is an attempt to avoid responsibility. It's interesting because in the veganlike Hindu sect of Jainism they do the same thing. They are strictly prohibited from killing animals so they will station a cow near a cliff in a storm and when it bolts over the edge to it's death they tell themselves they aren't responsible.

In real life though humans have completely mastered the natural environment for large animals. The world is our zoo and we are the keepers. Whatever happens happens because we allow it. It's our responsibility. It makes no moral difference if I shoot you or throw you in a pit of wolves I still murdered you, I just used wolves as my weapon rather than a bullet.

Allowing animals to live 'wild and free' is just deciding to use something else, disease, starvation, predators, to kill them and control their population. We have eaten of the fruit of the tree of knowledge and there is no going back to innocence now.