• Vegan thread

  • This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #69464  by Demeter
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 am
My eyes are watering from laughter because I actually read that. Maybe a little from sadness as well. I'm laughing but deep down I know there are people who exist who actually believe that's a convincing argument.
 #69468  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 am
The best definition of religion I know is 'that which gives meaning and value in life'. Objectively the concept of meaning can't be applied to life because meaning is a relation of one thing to another and there is nothing objective to relate life to. You have to invent a supernatural world to be able to give life meaning.

Value can not be objectively determined either, it is arbitrary. You can pretend it's not by believing in a supernatural revelation but that's just arbitrarily choosing from an objective standpoint.

I'd say veganism is certainly a value system but as far as I'm aware in it's current form it does not address the question of meaning so it's really an ethical system, more of a philosophy than a religion. Individual vegans may make it a religion by investing their status as a vegan as the thing which gives their life meaning but I don't think veganism per se is necessarily a religion.
HolidayFriday liked this
 #69475  by almostapathetic
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:47 am
Vegans don't believe in religion. Fun fact: All vegans are atheists, but not all atheist are vegan. It's a fact.
 #69478  by MikesLiquor
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am
Demeter wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 am
Actually I was ignoring it because it was too stupid to respond to lol. And I've spent years with them. See ya.
Demeter wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am
Jesus Christ are you actually a real person? Do I actually have to explain all the flaws in your argument? Fucking hell.
Demeter wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:41 pm
The mental somersaults here are incredible.
Demeter wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm
I would respond a lot more to you if you shortened the length of your replies, just so you know. I could write essays in response to one sentence of yours and I don't feel it's worth the effort especially since you would just write ten essays more and I'd end up writing a series of novels without even getting paid.
Demeter wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:49 pm
Please tell me you're trolling because this is hilarious if so and really fucking sad if not.
Demeter wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:09 pm
Poor HolidayFriday is actually trying to respond logically to this nutter. I've just stopped reading it entirely.
Demeter wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:40 am
My eyes are watering from laughter because I actually read that. Maybe a little from sadness as well. I'm laughing but deep down I know there are people who exist who actually believe that's a convincing argument.
You'd be a lot more convincing if you actually addressed his points instead of just hand-waving. I'm uneducated in the matter, so if he's wrong, please explain why he's wrong. After all, you started this topic.
Kumacho liked this
 #69483  by almostapathetic
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:48 am
MikesLiquor wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am
You'd be a lot more convincing if you actually addressed his points instead of just hand-waving. I'm uneducated in the matter, so if he's wrong, please explain why he's wrong. After all, you started this topic.
I just notified Google that she'll be warming up their mainframes later.
instead of just hand-waving
Yep. She is the master.
 #69488  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am
if he's wrong, please explain why he's wrong
There's no question on the point that if an animal population is stable and it's rate of reproduction is faster than the rate of death from natural causes (this is true of all animals unless they practice birth control) then the average age at death will be less than the average age of death from old age. The greater it's reproductive rate the greater the difference.

The graphic posted gave the "natural life span" of various animals but really meant the average age of death from old age. The life span of an animal in nature is necessarily much shorter. A few animals do manage to get this old in nature but they are like lottery winners. Most of the losers don't make it out of infancy and they drag the average down.

What's more interesting is how someone could be blind to such an error. It requires you to be in ignorance, willful or otherwise of the most fundamental characteristic of life, the engine of evolution. More animals are born than survive to reproduce, this is how natural selection adapts animals to their environment.

All animals get sustenance by harvesting the excess reproduction of plants or other animals. By animal husbandry and agriculture humans essentially insert themselves in the place of the carnivore or herbivore or disease or circumstance which would in the course of nature have harvested or limited the excess reproduction.
 #85963  by Demeter
 Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:44 pm
"American consumers who identify as vegan now comprise six percent of the population, up from only one percent in three years.

A new report entitled “Top Trends in Prepared Foods in 2017” compiled by research firm Global Data found that American consumers who identify as vegan currently make up six percent of the population—an increase of 600 percent since 2014, when only one percent identified as such. Global Data also found that 44 percent of Germans follow a low-meat diet, up from 26 percent in 2014. The report highlighted six key trends in the global prepared foods industry, two of which (categorized as “Go Meat-Free” and “Ethical Eating”) specifically centered around reducing animal products. Global Data’s assessment is in line with recent market predictions that consumers will continue to choose plant-based foods in coming years. By 2020, the global meat alternatives market will be worth $5.2 billion, while the plant-based milk industry is predicted to hit $34 billion by 2024."

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=9684&catId=1
 #85966  by PlusCaChange
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:04 am
It's unsurprising veganism is on the rise, people need an outlet for their moral instincts. Traditionally disapproved things are now off limits, particularly in the progressive subculture. so the instinct finds an outlet in frivolous and irrational ways.

I see it as like squeezing a toothpaste tube with the cap on, the applied pressure creases it in one place only to make it bulge in another.
Anthrax666 liked this
  • 1
  • 77
  • 78
  • 79
  • 80
  • 81
  • 83