• Vegan thread

• This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #85969  by HolidayFriday
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:24 am
I think she just said, "There's no question on the point that the vegan population is stable and it's rate of reproduction is faster than the rate of death from natural causes." :lol:
 #85971  by PlusCaChange
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:47 am
HolidayFriday wrote:
I think she just said, "There's no question on the point that the vegan population is stable and it's rate of reproduction is faster than the rate of death from natural causes." :lol:
For veganism the model would be spreading, like a disease, rather than reproducing as a trait of an organism. In such cases natural selection pressure is exerted against the disease organism indirectly through it's effect on the host's reproductive success.

The Jain sect in India are the closest thing to vegans who have a long track record and they aren't strictly vegan (they generally will eat dairy if it's been harvested in an approved way). Their numbers have been more or less stable over time. There are about five million worldwide today.
 #85973  by happysock
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:24 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:47 am
HolidayFriday wrote:
For veganism the model would be spreading, like a disease, rather than reproducing as a trait of an organism. In such cases natural selection pressure is exerted against the disease organism indirectly through it's effect on the host's reproductive success.

The Jain sect in India are the closest thing to vegans who have a long track record and they aren't strictly vegan (they generally will eat dairy if it's been harvested in an approved way). Their numbers have been more or less stable over time. There are about five million worldwide today.
Time for bobs and vagenes. You should marry an Indian man. :shock: p
kocher liked this
 #85981  by PlusCaChange
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:23 am
Demeter wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:47 am
I said "frivolous and irrational", extreme requires the framework of some sort of agreed spectrum, extremely what?

The point is interesting though, why is it most people see splitting a cow's head open as more repulsive than tearing lettuce leaves? Why it would be at least as repellent for most people to dismember a dead body as harm a living one? Some of it is probably instinctive but mostly it's lack of familiarity and learned social prejudice. I doubt small children would show any aversion to handling viscera unless they learned to from their elders.
 #85988  by Hakik
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am
Demeter wrote:
It's not extreme as in R-rated you dumb-dumb. It's extreme as in it's not a balanced diet, and is pushing your diet to one extreme, leaving out too many nutritious options.

Also, pediatricians strongly urge you not to put children under that diet, as it's too unbalanced, and deprives them of basics like milk, eggs, cheese, fish, chicken, etc...
 #86003  by HolidayFriday
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 pm
Demeter wrote:
That's just propaganda. When someone really searches how meat is produced, they find information about farming. It takes a "vegan search" to come up with graphic slaughter.

Based on the way Google and other search engines work, if you search for enough raw violence, it will top your searches. Anything bloody and morbid will seem like a possible "relevant search result" to you.

I bet a lot of vegan activists suffer from that.
 #86008  by PlusCaChange
 Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:22 pm
cunnalingus wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am
EAT THE FECES COATED FLESH OF A TORTURED ANIMAL *yells into microphone and shreds*
'Feces-coated Tortured Animals' would be a good name for a rock group. I even have your first hit song for you.

There is
A house
In New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun (meat packing inc.)
And it's been... the ruin... of many an innocent cow
Oh Gaia, I know, I'm one (with them in in their suffering)
My mother was a vegan
She coooooked our Thanksgiving tofurkey
etc & etc