• Veganism and Mental Illness

• This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #77659  by PlusCaChange
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 am
Is veganism a mental disorder?
If you regard everything people do that's maladapted as a mental disorder there would be virtually no one without one.

Human nature is the result of evolutionary pressure to survive, this frequently involves contradictions. For example we have an instinct to run away when danger threatens but also an instinct to stand and fight. these instincts express themselves in individuals randomly but are balanced on average in the population. Some people have too much on the 'run away' side, some too much 'stand and fight' just as some people are very tall and some are very short.

Empathy is a similar case, too little and society and even the family won't hold together, too much and you are over-tolerant of destructive or parasitic behavior in others and society is weakened.

In the particular case of veganism it's not so much about too much empathy as about empathetic instincts being misdirected. This is most likely due to experience. The vegans I've known have frequently been turned off applying their empathy to humans and misdirect it onto animals. Often this seems to involve ideas about 'guilt' and 'innocence' (the manifestation of another instinct), humans are generally less deserving of empathy because they are guilty where animals are innocent.

The amusing contradiction is part of their creed is a moral equivalence for humans and animals which would make such a distinction nonsensical.
 #77670  by Kumacho
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:19 am
JohnnyP wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 pm
It all makes sense now... :D

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -disorder/

What exactly might explain this bizarre behavior?

Consider one theory: Our bodies require Vitamin B12 for proper brain function. Vitamin B12 is only found naturally in animal products. It’s possible to get it through supplements, but as many as 92 percent of vegans are deficient in B12, according to the Daily Mail. (Vegans are also at risk of deficiencies in iron, calcium and omega-3s.)

And as one nutritionist recently explained to the paper, Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to “fatigue, megaloblastic anemia, early dementia, increased risk of heart disease, nerve dysfunction, forgetfulness, lack of coordination, and psychiatric disorders.”

Well, that explains a lot.

The “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” suggests, “A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual’s cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning.” Could veganism fit the bill?

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/02/16/vegeta ... arch-33067#

Vegetarians are unhealthy and ‘mentally disturbed’, says new research

A study from the University of Graz says that contrary to popular opinion, vegetarian and vegan diets don’t make people healthier. In fact it found that vegetarians are ill more often, more susceptible to physical and mental disorders and generally have a lower quality of life than people who eat meat. They’re more at risk of cancer, have more heart attacks and are more likely to suffer from psychological disorders.
What came first? Veganism or Crazy? Demeter?

Added in 16 minutes 22 seconds:
Demeter wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm
This is laughably poor research, and I could write a novel about how confused you are. I wish I could just transfer all my knowledge to people instantly, because I don't have time for that, and unfortunately there are consequences for your shameless ignorance.

I'm just going to comment on the first point that is completely false, so you can get an idea about how confused and/or wrong everything you said is.
"Vitamin B12 is only found naturally in animal products."

No, it isn't, you unforgivable retard. It's found just about everywhere in the natural world, particularly soil (that in the natural world, would give us plenty of B12 if we were eating unwashed veggies). B12 is sourced from BACTERIA. That's why it's found in animal products. But even animals have to be supplemented with B12.

Furthermore, many meat eaters are deficient in B12, they just don't realize it.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/ne ... n-thought/

EVERYONE should be taking a B12 supplement - animal products are NOT a reliable source of B12. And just gonna say that EVERYONE over 50 needs to take B12 supplements regardless of diet. Are you going to say everyone over 50 is insane now?

And to make this brief, I will just add that you really need to be more careful about your sources. The Daily Mail is not a reliable source in the slightest. :lol:

Go back to school and then try this again.
Jane you ignorant slut. You can't even debate worth a shit.

From the National Institute of Health you crazy bitch!
Vitamin B12 is naturally found in animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products. Vitamin B12 is generally not present in plant foods, but fortified breakfast cereals are a readily available source of vitamin B12 with high bioavailability for vegetarians [5,13-15]
Now from a Vegan website:
Very low B12 intakes can cause anemia and nervous system damage. The only reliable vegan sources of B12 are foods fortified with B12 (including some plant milks, some soy products and some breakfast cereals) and B12 supplements. Vitamin B12, whether in supplements, fortified foods, or animal products, comes from micro-organisms. Most vegans consume enough B12 to avoid anemia and nervous system damage, but many do not get enough to minimize potential risk of heart disease or pregnancy complications.
You hate people who eat meat because you are a stupid cow. Wouldn't want those meat eaters to realize just how fucking tasty you are.

Now, who is confused and/or wrong you loony bitch.
JohnnyP liked this
 #77685  by cunnalingus
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:42 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 am
If you regard everything people do that's maladapted as a mental disorder there would be virtually no one without one.

Human nature is the result of evolutionary pressure to survive, this frequently involves contradictions. For example we have an instinct to run away when danger threatens but also an instinct to stand and fight. these instincts express themselves in individuals randomly but are balanced on average in the population. Some people have too much on the 'run away' side, some too much 'stand and fight' just as some people are very tall and some are very short.

Empathy is a similar case, too little and society and even the family won't hold together, too much and you are over-tolerant of destructive or parasitic behavior in others and society is weakened.

In the particular case of veganism it's not so much about too much empathy as about empathetic instincts being misdirected. This is most likely due to experience. The vegans I've known have frequently been turned off applying their empathy to humans and misdirect it onto animals. Often this seems to involve ideas about 'guilt' and 'innocence' (the manifestation of another instinct), humans are generally less deserving of empathy because they are guilty where animals are innocent.

The amusing contradiction is part of their creed is a moral equivalence for humans and animals which would make such a distinction nonsensical.
Do you ever stop and read your short stories? They're a bore.
 #77700  by Demeter
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:27 am
Kumacho wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 am

Demeter wrote:
This is laughably poor research, and I could write a novel about how confused you are. I wish I could just transfer all my knowledge to people instantly, because I don't have time for that, and unfortunately there are consequences for your shameless ignorance.

I'm just going to comment on the first point that is completely false, so you can get an idea about how confused and/or wrong everything you said is.

No, it isn't, you unforgivable retard. It's found just about everywhere in the natural world, particularly soil (that in the natural world, would give us plenty of B12 if we were eating unwashed veggies). B12 is sourced from BACTERIA. That's why it's found in animal products. But even animals have to be supplemented with B12.

EVERYONE should be taking a B12 supplement - animal products are NOT a reliable source of B12. And just gonna say that EVERYONE over 50 needs to take B12 supplements regardless of diet. Are you going to say everyone over 50 is insane now?

And to make this brief, I will just add that you really need to be more careful about your sources. The Daily Mail is not a reliable source in the slightest. :lol:

You hate people who eat meat because you are a stupid cow. Wouldn't want those meat eaters to realize just how fucking tasty you are.

Still you. Work on your reading comprehension and reread everything before you respond to me again. Thanks.
 #77732  by Kumacho
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am
Demeter wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:27 am
Kumacho wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 am

Demeter wrote:

Still you. Work on your reading comprehension and reread everything before you respond to me again. Thanks.
Okay you condescending cunt; here fucking goes!

What a fucking moron you must be to not know what YOU FUCKING WROTE!

Let me refresh your memory, bitch. You said:
To which I posted the exact opposite from the NIH. To which you responded, "lurn two reed." Well cunt, before you tell others to "learn to read" you should understand what you fucking wrote. You, I am afraid, lack in what is called "Reality comprehension" you are completely out of touch with it sweetheart.

Again, you are as condescending cunt and in this case, you are wrong too.
Last edited by Kumacho on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.