• Hey, do I come off like a pedantic know-it-all?

• This is no safe-space, snowflake.
This is no safe-space, snowflake.
 #107386  by doonrothmani
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 pm
Some people think I come off like a pedantic know-it-all. I usually respond by writing a few paragraphs on the meaning of the world pedantic, and then the origin of the expression "know-it-all". And then I carefully explain why I am neither of those things.

But then people say why do you write words like "therefore" and "vis-a-vis" in your comments? The reason for this is that all of my comments are carefully crafted and go through a formal revision process. But I also talk like that in real life, which is why it's difficult for me to make or to keep friends.

Thanks for listening guys. No need to respond unless it's with supportive, emotionally mature replies.
lemmiwinx, joecaca liked this
 #107402  by doonrothmani
 Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm
lemmiwinx wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm
You and Donald Trump! Why on earth would you assume anybody cares what you think? People have their own lives to live in case you haven't noticed pendejo.
I usually do not notice other people, so I was unaware of this.

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
mrsquirtlejeans wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:49 pm
One of the systems access guys at work tried to have a conversation with me about the open systems interconnection model at work on Friday...good times.
Just keep saying "that's debatable" to everything other or third thing he says. When he asks what you mean, just say "Think about it", and then say "ok, go on".
 #107418  by PlusCaChange
 Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 am
Be what ever you want to be.

Life is too short to spend time worrying what other people think of you.

Why would you want to be friends with people who don't accept you the way you are?

Pretending to be average because being exceptional may hurt some people's feelings is a mug's game.

Seek out other people like yourself, it will keep you in perspective and may even correct your worst know-it-all and pedantic behavior.

In real life I don't explain things unless people ask and really seem to want to know, that or they are about to injure themselves or others. People don't value free advice.