• Hey, do I come off like a pedantic know-it-all?

• The official home of shit-posting, cuck-calling, and dumbfucking.
The official home of shit-posting, cuck-calling, and dumbfucking.
 #107658  by doonrothmani
 Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 pm
SkeetDixon wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 pm
Has anybody figured out what the word "pedantic" means? Is that like a pedo or something?
Adjective
pedantic (comparative more pedantic, superlative most pedantic)

Like a pedant, overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points of learning.
Being showy of one’s knowledge, often in a boring manner.
Being finicky or fastidious, especially with language.
Synonyms
(like a pedant): (informal, derogatory) anal-retentive, fussy, nit-picky
(knowledge-peacock): (sometimes applicable) nit-picky, ostentatious, pedagogical, pretentious
(linguistically affected): fussy, nit-picky
See also Thesaurus:fastidious
Related terms
pedant
pedantry
 #107679  by lemmiwinx
 Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:44 pm
edsbrian wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm
If pedantic means annoying Jew, then yes, you come off pedantic as a motherfucker.
I thought it meant hung like a pendulum. I always considered myself as pedantic but with a feminine side too.
 #107688  by hotdogwithmayo
 Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:17 pm
doonrothmani wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 pm
Some people think I come off like a pedantic know-it-all. I usually respond by writing a few paragraphs on the meaning of the world pedantic, and then the origin of the expression "know-it-all". And then I carefully explain why I am neither of those things.

But then people say why do you write words like "therefore" and "vis-a-vis" in your comments? The reason for this is that all of my comments are carefully crafted and go through a formal revision process. But I also talk like that in real life, which is why it's difficult for me to make or to keep friends.

Thanks for listening guys. No need to respond unless it's with supportive, emotionally mature replies.
if u think im reading paragraphs u cray
 #107723  by HolidayFriday
 Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm
doonrothmani wrote:
SkeetDixon wrote:
Has anybody figured out what the word "pedantic" means? Is that like a pedo or something?
Adjective

Like a pedant, overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points of learning.
Synonyms
(knowledge-peacock): (sometimes applicable) nit-picky, ostentatious, pedagogical, pretentious
Related terms
pedant
pedantry
You're doing your pedantic know-it-all thing again.
 #107761  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:29 am
doonrothmani wrote:
SkeetDixon wrote:
Adjective

Synonyms
Related terms
pedant
pedantry
A pedant originally just meant a schoolmaster. It acquired pejorative senses because of the sort of people who don't like schoolmasters.
doonrothmani liked this
 #107763  by HolidayFriday
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:14 am
When we grew up and went to school, there were certain teachers who would hurt the children any way they could. By pouring their derision upon anything we did. Exposing every weakness no matter how carefully hid by the kid.

But in town it was well known when they went home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.,..

Yelling things like, "You pedant know-it-all!"
 #107766  by doonrothmani
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 am
HolidayFriday wrote:
When we grew up and went to school, there were certain teachers who would hurt the children any way they could. By pouring their derision upon anything we did. Exposing every weakness no matter how carefully hid by the kid.

But in town it was well known when they went home at night their fat and psychopathic wives would thrash them within inches of their lives.,..

Holy shit, where the hell did you grow up?
 #107767  by cunnalingus
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:58 am
doonrothmani wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 am
HolidayFriday wrote:

Holy shit, where the hell did you grow up?
By the sounds of it the early 50’s