• Computer Purchasing Advice (Read if you're tech saavy and want $5)

• Where the enlightened come to discuss the latest developments in science and technology.
Where the enlightened come to discuss the latest developments in science and technology.
 #66825  by Demeter
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:15 am
I am considering paying someone $5 to find me the best deal on a good laptop.

I'm scared that this laptop is going to quit on me soon, and am thinking I better buy a new one while I have the money to do so. But it's so hard to shop for a good laptop within my price range.

I don't want to pay more than $350 on a laptop, but definitely preferably less, ideally closer to $200.

Also ideally i5 or close to it (probably more around i3 but if you can find higher within my price range, then obviously I prefer that), and HP or ASUS but that's not necessary if it has good stats. Also ideally not ugly AF but I can compromise if the price is great. Also needs to have at least 3 USB ports, I need to be able to do homework on it (absolutely need to be able to use OpenOffice on it), store files, stream movies, and obviously, browse the internet. An HD webcam would be great too but not necessary. Oh, and ideally it would have great audio. I might be a bit hard of hearing and this laptop is often too quiet for me to hear properly - primarily on tinychat so I also blame the people who have quiet mics, but still would like to increase the volume more. For example it would be great if I could watch a movie on my laptop while using my elliptical machine and actually be able to hear the movie.

Thanks, and again, if you find me a great deal on a laptop that has all the necessary features I will give you $5 because I hate sorting through laptops.
 #66931  by 95percent
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm
I assume it is absolutely necessary to have a laptop and not a desktop because you take it to school and such?

I am not a laptop person but for my money I would go to your local computer repair shop and buy a used one that they've fixed up. Around here they sell them for about $80-$150 for good newer models and they guarantee them to to work.
Demeter liked this
 #66936  by HolidayFriday
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm
Demeter wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:41 am
I'm okay with refurbished btw.
Go down to Best Buy and see if they'll give you a credit card. Best way to get a computer ever, and they have a deal so that you pay no interest if you pay off the debt in under twelve months.

You could pick up something for $900-$1000 and it would cost you $75-$85 a month. You can do it.
Demeter liked this
 #66939  by 95percent
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm
HolidayFriday wrote:
Go down to Best Buy and see if they'll give you a credit card. Best way to get a computer ever, and they have a deal so that you pay no interest if you pay off the debt in under twelve months.

You could pick up something for $900-$1000 and it would cost you $75-$85 a month. You can do it.

For the love of Jesus DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

You will get raped financially.
Demeter liked this
 #66941  by HolidayFriday
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm
95percent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm
HolidayFriday wrote:

For the love of Jesus DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

You will get raped financially.
What, are you retarded? How do you get raped financially when it's a major chain asking for no interest?

I let my roommate use my Best Buy card on a $1200 laptop for a business trip she was going on. She just paid me $100 a month, and it was done in a year.

No interest.

Speaking from experience, bro.
Demeter liked this
 #66945  by 95percent
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:08 pm
HolidayFriday wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm
What, are you retarded? How do you get raped financially when it's a major chain asking for no interest?

I let my roommate use my Best Buy card on a $1200 laptop for a business trip she was going on. She just paid me $100 a month, and it was done in a year.

No interest.

Speaking from experience, bro.

Unless the OP earns upwards of $1,900 per month and uses the laptop for business purposes you cannot possibly justify such an expense.
Demeter liked this