• Veganism

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #1328  by Demeter
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:53 pm
Hi everyone, welcome to the first eBaum's Forum thread on veganism. I'd like to invite you to ask just about any questions you have about the lifestyle here. As a vegan of 7 years, I should be able to answer any of your questions or concerns on the topic.

Before we begin though, I'd like to make sure you're aware that this is in the Enlightened Discussion board, which means that "Needless flaming / idiocy are grounds for banning." Genuine questions and concerns only please. Thank you!

Now let's talk the basics of veganism. I would love to make it a rule that you have to go to this site before posting any questions, since many of the main questions will at least be partially answered there, removing the need for you to ask me: www.theradicalvegan.tumblr.com

But I know, reading is hard, and there are too many undercover investigations and studies listed there for the average person's attention span to handle. I will leave it there though for the more studious and courteous members who genuinely want to understand the main issues.

I generally consider that site to be a very brief summary of the issues, but let me summarize it even further:

1. ANIMALS.

Our society loves to say we love animals, but hidden from the majority's view is the fact that billions of animals are severely abused their entire lives, then killed (no it isn't painless despite what the industry tells you, and yes there are studies and countless investigations to back that statement up). Why must they be abused? Well, it may come as a surprise to many of you, but people who kill and use animals for their flesh and secretions don't exactly have much respect for the creatures. So, from "Certified Humane" and small scale "backyard" farms, to large industrial CAFOs, severe animal abuse is rampant. The only logical, realistic solution to stopping this is veganism.

2. Environment
All these billions of animals being raised for food purposes pack a heavy punch on the environment. To simplify this concept, just consider how much food and water animals need to survive. That factor alone is enough to make it obvious that using animals is not sustainable. Other issues are land use, pollution (feces, blood, antibiotics and antibiotic resistant bacteria, etc.,etc. etc. entering our ecosystem from factory farms), deforestation, and the fact that animal agriculture contributes more to global greenhouse gas emissions than ALL TRANSPORT VEHICLES COMBINED. (That's roughly 18% vs. 13%.)

3. Health
You can easily get all your nutrient needs from a vegan diet. (Just ask Patrik Baboumian or one of the many vegan Olympic athletes and incredible people raised vegan since conception such as Seba Johnson or Nyjah Houston - or Joaquin Phoenix who's been vegan since age 3.) This, along with the facts mentioned above should be enough for anyone to be happy, but there's more. Not only can you get all your nutrient needs, but you can drastically improve your health through a whole food vegan diet. Heart disease, diabetes - reverse them. Cancer - help prevent it and even fight it. These are our most devastating health issues in the United States, and the adoption of a vegan diet would drastically lower the rates of these diseases. If you're curious about other health benefits, refer to the site mentioned above.

Alright, so those are the 3 biggest reasons people go vegan and I will leave it at that for now, however other issues are human rights and the economy, and you can throw in some more philosophical and psychological theories in the mix, but I won't go there right now. If you're interested in those aspects, feel free to ask, but that's it for now. :)

Vegan food is incredibly varied and thus, going vegan is attainable for those of any lifestyle. The more veganism expands, the more the vegan economy expands, and the easier it becomes for people to go vegan, with new restaurants and products coming to the market. But it's already incredibly easy without all these new convenience foods. The basic staples of a vegan diet are: Legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and fruits, and the possibilities within the plant food world are truly endless. From this:

To this:
Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella lasagna

To this:

To this:

With so much delicious food, and so much destruction caused by the alternative, the choice is clear...
 #1330  by Tim_Kerr
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:57 pm
^^^^^ This is neither News or Current events... but this is

Vegan breastfeeding has caused an 11 month old baby to die and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A. Both these nutrients are known to be critical to a child’s development and sorely lacking in a vegan diet. This is why doctors strongly advise against nursing mothers and growing children following a vegan diet .
Vegans have long been advised to take B12 supplements as long term veganism runs the huge risk of serious B12 deficiency as well as other nutrients only found in animal foods such as true Vitamin A. Beta carotene is not true vitamin A nor does it easily convert to adequate amounts of Vitamin A in the body to sustain optimal health.
While charging the parents in this tragedy is questionable as it smacks of too much interference by government into private life, it does communicate a clear message to other vegans: abstinence from all animal foods is a danger to one’s health and most particularly, your baby!

weird :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.i-nhs.com/inhs/diet-veganbaby.html
 #1331  by Demeter
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:49 pm
Tim_Kerr wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:57 pm
^^^^^ This is neither News or Current events... but this is

Vegan breastfeeding has caused an 11 month old baby to die and the parents are charged with neglect after an autopsy indicated the baby suffered from deficiencies in vitamin B12 and Vitamin A. Both these nutrients are known to be critical to a child’s development and sorely lacking in a vegan diet. This is why doctors strongly advise against nursing mothers and growing children following a vegan diet .
Vegans have long been advised to take B12 supplements as long term veganism runs the huge risk of serious B12 deficiency as well as other nutrients only found in animal foods such as true Vitamin A. Beta carotene is not true vitamin A nor does it easily convert to adequate amounts of Vitamin A in the body to sustain optimal health.
While charging the parents in this tragedy is questionable as it smacks of too much interference by government into private life, it does communicate a clear message to other vegans: abstinence from all animal foods is a danger to one’s health and most particularly, your baby!

weird :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.i-nhs.com/inhs/diet-veganbaby.html
Friendly reminder that again, this is the Enlightened Discussion board. :)

Also, literally just read this article about omnivorous mothers who accidentally kill their children through malnourishment: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/mom-says-p ... 45847.html

While it's important to make sure babies are getting adequate nutrition, vegans are far from the only ones at risk of malnourishing their children. B12 and vitamin A are very easily provided through a vegan diet and that excerpt is simply fear-mongering. The ADA has long approved of vegan diets for all stages of life. As long as the mother has basic knowledge of vegan nutrition, the baby will be just fine. I personally cared for the brightest 3 year old I've ever met (I worked in child care, so I've met a lot), and he was raised vegan since conception. He had every single book in his home memorized to the point you could say "a" instead of "the", and he would correct you. I'm not even exaggerating at all, and he had more than 30 books in his home that were above his reading level (well, technically 3 year olds don't typically read, but he had already learned basic words and followed along very well).

Thanks for your comments though, this is an important topic.
 #1334  by Tim_Kerr
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm
^^^ still not news or current events... I think u might need some b12 and have a laydown

More vegan news
A Vegan woman in Georgia was arrested for taking out her anger on the world of meat by slamming her car into a truck carrying chicken. After originally telling police it was an accident, she admitted to hitting the truck on purpose. She claimed she did it because she was a vegan. The driver of the truck says she hit the truck once from the side and then rammed it again after he slammed the breaks, causing his truck to spin out. The driver called 911 to report the color of the car, but Armstrong had already fled the scene.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://heatst.com/life/vegan-woman-arr ... ken-truck/
 #1336  by Demeter
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 pm
Tim_Kerr wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm
^^^ still not news or current events... I think u might need some b12 and have a laydown
"March 3, 2017"

Hmm, pretty sure it is. And my original post definitely is too. I think I'm fine with B12 but it's possible your confusion is due to a lack of glucose (the only molecule the brain digests).
More vegan news
A Vegan woman in Georgia was arrested for taking out her anger on the world of meat by slamming her car into a truck carrying chicken. After originally telling police it was an accident, she admitted to hitting the truck on purpose. She claimed she did it because she was a vegan. The driver of the truck says she hit the truck once from the side and then rammed it again after he slammed the breaks, causing his truck to spin out. The driver called 911 to report the color of the car, but Armstrong had already fled the scene.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://heatst.com/life/vegan-woman-arr ... ken-truck/
Yeah, I read about that, except the site I read about it from didn't say there were chickens in the truck. I'm guessing that your source made an error since you don't seem to take much care into where you source your information.

Also, she was arrested for driving under the influence. She obviously wasn't thinking very clearly, but we can probably pretty safely say the driver deserved it anyway to be honest.
 #1339  by Tim_Kerr
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 pm
An 11-month-old child from Uniontown, Pennsylvania has been suffering from strange symptoms.

A severe rash covered his body and his motor system is impaired. He couldn't even more his hands when authorities got to him, CBS Pittsburgh reports.

They are blaming his mother, who only fed him small amounts of food and nuts because she was feeding him an extreme vegan diet.

Her estranged husband disagreed, and brought their baby to child services, and soon after he was rushed to the hospital.

According to CBS Pittsburgh, doctors declared the treatment "inhumane" that the rash was not quickly treated because it put the baby at risk for septic shock.

He was so badly nourished, he hit a "failure to thrive" level that may cause him to be developmentally delayed.

Hawk has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

The Vegan Diet does wonders... :mrgreen:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/1 ... /21577014/
 #1340  by Demeter
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 pm
I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting. "Extreme vegan diet" =/= healthy vegan diet that countless vegan babies have done incredibly well on. End of subject, thank you for your contribution but we're done now.

Edit: Including my later response here as well since people are getting confused somehow about who knows what they're talking about here, and I want to make sure they see this on the first page.

"Well I named multiple people who have either been raised vegan since conception and grew to be top athletes in their sports, or have been vegan since age 3 like the actor Joaquin Phoenix. Also mentioned the boy raised vegan since conception (he also had a sister but she was an infant so no incredibly impressive stories about her intelligence - just a very healthy, happy, curious baby). Not strong enough evidence from someone who gets their information from Huffington Post and The Daily Mail, sure. But I also did mention that the ADA has approved vegan diets for all stages of life, and the rest of what I mentioned is easily google-able.

But I'll give you sources, no problem.
"Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life-cycle including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12826028

"Findings of this study show that both vegan and vegetarian diets are
associated with healthy pregnancy outcomes. In fact, our data suggest
that infants born to women who avoid meat during pregnancy may
have lower prevalence of low birth weight. Our findings also highlight
the fact that vegetarian mothers exhibit more desirable breastfeeding
pattern. This is especially true for vegan pregnant and lactating women.
The above-highlighted findings have important implications for physicians
and other healthcare practitioners. Several studies documented some
adverse health impact of ingesting meat during pregnancy. Meat intake
during pregnancy exposes the mother and the fetus to polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons associated with fetal growth retardation [9,10].
Furthermore, meat intake during pregnancy is associated with several
adverse health outcomes for infants and children including developing
brain tumors, allergies, rhinoconjuctivitis, and eczema [11-14]. "
http://www.academia.edu/download/377674 ... -2-004.pdf "
Last edited by Demeter on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1343  by Tim_Kerr
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Demeter wrote:
I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting. "Extreme vegan diet" =/= healthy vegan diet that countless vegan babies have done incredibly well on. End of subject, thank you for your contribution but we're done now.

So.... I can't post news and current events in news and current events. :?: :?: :?:
What about animals on a vegan diet??? :confused:
 #1352  by Demeter
 Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm
Tim_Kerr wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Demeter wrote:

So.... I can't post news and current events in news and current events. :?: :?: :?:
What about animals on a vegan diet??? :confused:
You were flaming and you know it.