• What do you think of the GOP tax plan?

• Discuss current events / serious things here. Needless flaming / idiocy are grounds for banning.
Discuss current events / serious things here. Needless flaming / idiocy are grounds for banning.
 #83833  by Kumacho
 Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 am
JohnnyP wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am
Kumacho wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am
How is all that dry land from the swamp he drained?
The Swamp has been around for 70 years. Not going to drain it in less than a year. It's going to take at least 10 years of voting these shit stains out of office to make any marked improvement.
It will take a lot more than that. It will take term limits on congress and stronger restrictions on lobbyists.

So was he just pandering to get votes? Yes.

Is it something new that people use this tactic to get elected and then appoint financial and societal upper .01% to their cabinets? Nope.

What it shows is that he's just like the rest of these cockbitters. He's absolutely no different. Fuck him, fuck Obama fuck them all. Not a single one of them really cared more about this country than their own agendas. Fuck them all.
 #86934  by HolidayFriday
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:59 am
I can't help but think that the GOP is trying drastic measures to appeal to a Conservative population that they don't understand. For instance, repealing Obamacare while most of their voter base complained. They're playing hit-and-miss with anything that opposes what the previous administration accomplished.

That's the GOP proper I'm talking about - not Trump.

The revamp of their original tax reform proposal is heavy on individual rate changes that are aimed at making the general public get in line with the thing, but it still focuses sharply on tax cuts for big businesses. The cuts are supposed to be offset by loophole closures, but we're yet to see how that works in real life figures.
 #86936  by kocher
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 am
Trickle down economics for companies that will line their investors pockets before their workforce. The Senate can't even include the doubled child tax credit or standard deduction to its final form because it would add over a trillion to the deficit, therein eliminating the one beneficial proponent to the middle class.
 #86943  by JohnnyP
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 am
kocher wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 am
Trickle down economics for companies that will line their investors pockets before their workforce. The Senate can't even include the doubled child tax credit or standard deduction to its final form because it would add over a trillion to the deficit, therein eliminating the one beneficial proponent to the middle class.
Add a trillion according to who the CBO who are notorious for playing politics with budget proposals and underestimated income increases for GDP growth?
Its also amazing the left is now concerned about the debt when they racked up 10 trillion over 8 years. If the GDP hits 4.5% there won't be a 1 trillion dollar deficit. I expect GDP to skyrocket to 5% and 3 trillion comes back into the country from overseas holdings.
BDR529 liked this
 #86992  by PlusCaChange
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 pm
I'd like to see a lifespan for corporations. Corporations are treated more or less as people under law but they are immortal conferring enormous advantages on them. I'd like to see them die after 100 years, pay estate taxes and be liquidated and the money distributed to shareholders. .
 #87015  by Kumacho
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:44 pm
So maybe one of you Trump supporters can answer this...if Trump and the republicans are so good for the american economy why has the dollar been on a downward trend since January?

Again, I'm neither republicuck nor democuck. But when you look at the dollar during the last 10 years.
 #87021  by HolidayFriday
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 pm
Kumacho wrote:
So maybe one of you Trump supporters can answer this...if Trump and the republicans are so good for the american economy why has the dollar been on a downward trend since January?

Again, I'm neither republicuck nor democuck. But when you look at the dollar during the last 10 years.
I'm not a big Trump fan, but I believe that I can explain.

1) The dollar was experiencing an unusual increase as the U.S. recovered faster from the recession than the rest of the world. Now, that is over. As the Euro rises, the value of the dollar per the exchange rate decreases, and similarly, countries outside of Europe are reaching the point of recovery, which effects the value of the dollar as well.

2) Trump is actually letting the dollar fall slightly on the exchange because it will mean more trade productivity. That's not to say that letting the dollar crash would be good but that allowing the Euro to grow a bit stronger will be.

Many investors helped boost the value of the dollar shortly before Trump's election, but that was on the supposition that he would grow our domestic product by means of tax cuts instead. As it slowly becomes clear that he is not accomplishing that, those same investors are causing a reversal of the effect.

3) Treasury bills are increasing in yield, which directly effects the strength of the dollar.

-----

According to the New York Times,

"It is important to put the recent decline into a broader context. Over the last six years, the dollar is still up about 28 percent."

Ultimately, the consequences would fall on the consumer who ends up paying a bit more for everything. That is an issue that the GOP thinks they can resolve by giving businesses the cuts they wanted.

:|
Last edited by HolidayFriday on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #87022  by JohnnyP
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:29 pm
Kumacho wrote:

A lower dollar isn't a bad thing. It makes our exports cheaper to overseas markets. That why the chinese devalue their currency on purpose (It's illegal to do that btw).
 #87071  by Hakik
 Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 pm
LOL senators have been handed the amended tax bill (almost 500 pages), a couple of hours before they have to vote on it, some senators even got it with just an hour left.

They must be trying to squeeze by some really shady shit.