• School Lunch Shaming and Paying Off Children's Lunchs

• Discuss current events / serious things here. Needless flaming / idiocy are grounds for banning.
Discuss current events / serious things here. Needless flaming / idiocy are grounds for banning.
 #4911  by PepperPeanut
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am
So on Saturday I saw a post from the New York Times about how New Mexico had just banned "School Lunch Shaming". The first two paragraphs addresses just what that means:

This seems criminal to me. How is this not child abuse?

Right around that time I was checking Twitter and say Patton Oswalt retweeted this woman who started a movement to pay off kids lunch debts.

So I've been thinking about calling around to San Francisco schools and getting a number for all the lunch debts and then creating a GoFundMe and pushing it through my social media to get them paid off.

What do you guys think about "lunch shaming"?
 #4915  by almostapathetic
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am
PepperPeanut wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am
So I've been thinking about calling around to San Francisco schools and getting a number for all the lunch debts and then creating a GoFundMe and pushing it through my social media to get them paid off.

What do you guys think about "lunch shaming"?
Problem is once some realize their kid's tab is going to get picked up if they don't pay, they will just abuse it and never pay. There are too many people who are happy not paying their share even if it takes away from those who really need it. They think they are are just as entitled to anything free. They'll use the excuse "my kid deserves the same as the others." Yeah, like the hungry kid can help that his parents might be disabled, addicts, or just trash who won't work to pay...Or just honestly down on their luck and temporally set back.

I guess you have to give extra so a few of "the haves" can have what the "have nots" are getting too.
 #4916  by PepperPeanut
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 am
almostapathetic wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am

Problem is once some realize their kid's tab is going to get picked up if they don't pay, they will just abuse it and never pay. There are too many people who are happy not paying their share even if it takes away from those who really need it. They think they are are just as entitled to anything free. They'll use the excuse "my kid deserves the same as the others." Yeah, like the hungry kid can help that his parents might be disabled, addicts, or just trash who won't work to pay...Or just honestly down on their luck and temporally set back.

I guess you have to give extra so a few of "the haves" can have what the "have nots" are getting too.
That's kind of the thought. You cannot put the blame of the parent's struggle (regardless of it's perceived authenticity) on the child. They're children.
 #4926  by PastorX
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am
In the USA there is no such thing as a struggle. People are born into this entitlement attitude that others will take care of them. Welfare system have been an income source for generations and generations of blacks. I say let these kids starve and let their survival instinct kick in so that everyone will start providing for their own. We are living in a pseudo reality that people think that others owes them something for nothing.
 #4927  by PepperPeanut
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:41 am
PastorX wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am
In the USA there is no such thing as a struggle. People are born into this entitlement attitude that others will take care of them. Welfare system have been an income source for generations and generations of blacks. I say let these kids starve and let their survival instinct kick in so that everyone will start providing for their own. We are living in a pseudo reality that people think that others owes them something for nothing.
I'm not sure how or where this becomes a race issue for you, because it's not.

Also, are you seriously suggesting that a hungry child is not a struggling child? There's no struggle in this country? I'm honestly unsure if you're trolling or not.
 #4930  by Hakik
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 pm
Why are they taking it out on the kids? It's not their fault their parents are poor.

Over here we have free school lunch for low income kids. Yea that system gets abused. Some parents just expect the school to just feed their kids. You see these moms coming to pick up their free lunch kids in their Escalades that they got with their alimony and child support money. But I'd rather needlessly loose some taxpayers money over cheap parents, if that means a lot of these kids aren't gonna be without a lunch.
 #4931  by PepperPeanut
 Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 pm
Hakik wrote:
Why are they taking it out on the kids? It's not their fault their parents are poor.

Over here we have free school lunch for low income kids. Yea that system gets abused. Some parents just expect the school to just feed their kids. You see these moms coming to pick up their free lunch kids in their Escalades that they got with their alimony and child support money. But I'd rather needlessly loose some taxpayers money over cheap parents, if that means a lot of these kids aren't gonna be without a lunch.
Absolutely agree with you. This is exactly how I feel about this.
 #5030  by Anthrax666
 Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 am
Hakik wrote:
Over here we have free school lunch for low income kids.
Are you a brit as well?

When I was at school my dad lost his job so I was on free school meals for a while. You had to buy tickets for your meals, the kids on free meals had different coloured tickets, so we were shamed and for no reason, we were allowed the same food as the paying kids there was no difference in the meals. It was just a massive power kick for the teachers and dinner ladies.
 #5087  by PepperPeanut
 Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am
Anthrax666 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 am
Hakik wrote:
Over here we have free school lunch for low income kids.
Are you a brit as well?

When I was at school my dad lost his job so I was on free school meals for a while. You had to buy tickets for your meals, the kids on free meals had different coloured tickets, so we were shamed and for no reason, we were allowed the same food as the paying kids there was no difference in the meals. It was just a massive power kick for the teachers and dinner ladies.
I was at a party last night and "School Lunch Shaming" came up, and a buddy of mine who's a Lawyer who studied Education Law told me that in California it's now outlawed to make the free lunch kids have any differentiation from the paying lunch kids.

Growing up (I grew up in California) there were usually two separate lines, but because it's wholly unnecessary (like the different colored tickets), it can only be a source of discontent with zero benefit.