• US quits UN Human Rights Council

• Needless flaming & idiocy are grounds for banning.
Needless flaming & idiocy are grounds for banning.
Forum rules: Please keep all conversation civil and productive. Any trolling or shit-posting will be removed and repeat offenders will be banned from the Enlightened Discussion forum.
 #121668  by covfefe
 Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 am
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... tical-bias
The US is withdrawing from the United Nations human rights council, the Trump administration announced on Tuesday, calling it a “cesspool of political bias” that targets Israel in particular while ignoring atrocities in other countries.

The US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, said she had traveled to the council’s headquarters in Geneva a year ago to call for reforms, to no avail.

“Regrettably it is now clear that our call for reform was not heeded,” Haley told reporters at the state department. “Human rights abusers continue to serve on, and be elected to, the council.”

She added: “The world’s most inhumane regimes continue to escape scrutiny and the council continues politicising and scapegoating of countries with positive human rights records in an attempt to distract from the abusers in their ranks.”

“For too long the human rights council has been a protector of human rights abusers and a cesspool of political bias.”
This is absolutely the right thing to do. Trump admin is right to withdraw the US from it.

But there are two things I don't like about the decision to quit:

The timing. Not exactly the best optics right now. Could have waited until the family separation stuff is either resolved or dies down. It doesn't look awesome to have the headline 'See Pictures of US Child Detention Centers' followed by 'US Quits Human Rights Council'.

The reason. The withdrawal is in part because of 'bias against Israel', who gets more condemnation than all other countries combined. The Trump admin wrongly thinks that Israel isn't an abuser of human rights. I think they are, and so they are rightly condemned. But I also think that Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba, Russia, Venezuela, etc. should be condemned as well - but they currently are not. So I think there should be more condemnation of the latter countries in addition to continued condemnation of Israel.
 #121691  by Hakik
 Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 am
The UN Human Rights Council has been a complete joke for decades.

Now you have Maduro's dictatorship represented on the council LOL. His regime is responsible for some the most blatant and widespread violations of human rights on a large scale in recent time. Yet the UN council has not even discussed one single measure against Maduro.

But who should be surprised when fucking Gadaffi used to be on that council.

You also forgot to mention the "Democratic" Republic of Congo is on that council. Jesus Christ...

Its no wonder some of the most serious human rights crises around the world are constantly going unchallenged with this completely useless UN council. Meanwhile, they spend most of their attention on an Israeli soldier slapping a Palestinian child, than on Assad gassing civilians.