• Veganism

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #5287  by Demeter
 Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 pm
Have you ever been so tired you wish you were dead? That's the feeling I get every time I read another one of these autistic fucking comments.
 #5289  by PastorX
 Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm
Demeter wrote:
Have you ever been so tired you wish you were dead? That's the feeling I get every time I read another one of these autistic fucking comments.
Or when you eat a meal that does not contain any meat?
 #5301  by almostapathetic
 Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:39 pm
Demeter wrote:
 #5317  by Demeter
 Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 am
I hope one day you all become experts on a topic then get stuck with a habit of responding to autists on an internet forum and have to correct them on the same things repeatedly til you long for death, and then still deal with feeling the need to correct them but also being too depressed to really care anymore.

Edit: Also, food for thought:

"Cats do not need meat to survive.
Technically speaking, cats need a specific assemblage of nutrients which meet all of their dietary needs, Chief among these are taurine, arachidonic acid, pyroxidine, methionine, and vitamin A. It just so happens that these nutrients are conveniently packaged in the proper proportions in form of fresh meat. It is also important that the cat's diet allows them to maintain a healthy pH balance between 6.2-6.4
Now, if modern science could provide a way to deliver these nutrients without the need for killing animals in horrific slaughterhouse conditions, would this be such a terrible thing? The commercial meat-based pet food industry creates a 'food' that is so far removed from the natural diet of the ancestor of the common housecat, and one that is so lacking in the essential nutrients that a cat needs, that they must supplement their product the very same nutrients that vegan cat food manufacturers add to their products (taurine, vitamins, minerals, etc....). Go read the label on your meat based cat food. Again, if this is the perfect food for them, then why the need for all of the supplementation?
Furthermore, as a vegan, why would you choose to doom hundreds of animals to die in a slaughterhouse to feed a single animal that only exists due to human irresponsibility and hubris? Why love one animal and kill others? Isn't this the same question that we ask carnists? Domestic cats should not really exist, at all. Their existence is not natural, so talk about the natural diet of such animals is complete nonsense.
People often claim that feeding their cat a plant based diet is cruel because it harms the health of the cat. Given that all of the required nutrients are present in such diets, i'm not sure where these claims arise. The fact is that if you are not feeding your cat live mice and insects, you have no place to judge a person who is trying to find a way to feed their cat in a more compassionate manner. If anything, forcing a cat to eat meat is 100% detrimental to the health of the cows, chickens, ducks, sheep, and fish that are killed in the factory farming industry.
The meat based diet that you have chosen is not markedly more natural than a properly supplemented plant based offering. Many cats thrived on such a diet with the added precaution of careful monitoring of pH.
I've been asking the question for years, and thus far, not one person has been able to explain how forcing countless animals to suffer and die in a slaughterhouse is a more humane solution than a healthy, properly supplemented plant based diet for your cat." -Andy Williams

"Don’t cats need a dietary source of Taurine?
Yes- and the vegan cat foods we carry contain adequate amounts. Although Taurine naturally occurs only in animal tissue, synthetic Taurine has been produced on a large scale since about 1930. In fact, many meat-based pet foods utilize synthetic Taurine to meet nutritional requirements as well (most naturally-occurring Taurine is washed away during the rendering process)!"
http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php

"If we hadn't had experience in working with thousands of people over the years who have had lifelong vegan cats and dogs that are happy and healthy, we'd be inclined to agree. However, the proof lies in the fact that many, many people have successfully transitioned their companion animals to vegan diets without ANY negative health complications, proving the statement "cats and dogs can't be vegan" quite untrue. Of course, as we state above, some cats may have difficulties on a 100% vegan diet if they are prone to urinary tract issues, but that is not the case with every animal and cats should be treated as individuals. When a proper diet and supplementation regimen is given, most cats and dogs will be able to go fully vegan without any health issues. But, as the concept of vegan companion animals is still quite new (only a bit over 20 years since the first nutritionally complete foods became available), many people still look at it as a dangerous attempt at feeding, mostly due to lack of knowledge, or trusting their information from a source who does not have all the facts."
http://www.vegancats.com/veganfaq.php
Last edited by Demeter on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #5325  by PlusCaChange
 Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 am
have to correct them on the same things repeatedly til you long for death
There is a good deal of that certainly but when you say "correct them" it's frequently more like merely repeating ill-conceived dogma than trying to uncover and engage with their actual arguments. You force what other people say into your rather rigid worldview, even if you have to mangle their ideas to do so.

Few people are willing to follow reasoning wherever it might lead. We like to be sure of the destination before we take the path, otherwise it can be pretty scary.
 #5329  by almostapathetic
 Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:43 am
Demeter wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 am
I hope one day you all become experts on a topic then get stuck with a habit of responding to autists on an internet forum and have to correct them on the same things repeatedly til you long for death, and then still deal with feeling the need to correct them but also being too depressed to really care anymore.
I've been there. For years I've been telling this one person that her use of petroleum products is killing animals and their habitats. About how animals die slow painful deaths from oil exposure, organ failure, poisoning..., but will she listen to me and change things about her animal killing oil consumption? No!
 #5361  by Anthrax666
 Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 pm
almostapathetic wrote:
I've been there. For years I've been telling this one person that her use of petroleum products is killing animals and their habitats. About how animals die slow painful deaths from oil exposure, organ failure, poisoning..., but will she listen to me and change things about her animal killing oil consumption? No!
For gods sake man, are you going to repeat this shit again and again and again ;)
 #5372  by almostapathetic
 Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:06 am
Anthrax666 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 pm
almostapathetic wrote:
For gods sake man, are you going to repeat this shit again and again and again ;)
I see what you did there.