• Flat Earth: Genuinely curious if any of you believe the earth isn't round

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #66903  by HolidayFriday
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm
95percent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:42 pm
If you must know, my beliefs are based on logical deduction. For instance, I know a thing or two about the Laws of Probability and the odds that the sun and moon would supposedly be tens of millions of miles apart and enormously different in size but from our perspective they would just happen to appear to be the same exact size so that the moon would eclipse the sun... well, what a coincidence!
So, um, what do you think is happening when the moon eclipses the sun?
PepperPeanut liked this
 #66904  by PepperPeanut
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 pm
95percent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:56 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 pm

So you're saying that the fact that the sun and moon's relative distance and size allow them to create a nearly perfect solar eclipse is the thing that makes you feel like there's no space?
What leads me to believe there is no space is this: How many billions of people have lived and died since 1960 and what percentage of the population has supposedly traveled to space? 0.00000000000000000001%?
Is it possible that it's because it's incredibly expensive and dangerous?

Your reasoning is that because very few people have gone into space that it doesn't exist?
 #66910  by 95percent
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:

Your reasoning is that because very few people have gone into space that it doesn't exist?
Yep. It's the same reasoning and logic that asserts no one can win the Powerball Jackpot 40 times in one lifetime (same odds as traveling to space) because it is impossible.

While the odds are extremely more likely we are being lied to.

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
JohnnyP wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:38 pm
You can see the curvature of the Earth from an airplane at 35,000ft. You wana know for sure if the Earth is flat or round? Buy a go pro and attach it do a helium filled balloon and let it go. You'll have your proof then.
You can see the curvature of lots of things that aren't round.
 #66911  by PepperPeanut
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm
95percent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm
Yep. It's the same reasoning and logic that asserts no one can win the Powerball Jackpot 40 times in one lifetime (same odds as traveling to space) because it is impossible.

No, the logical parallel to your analogy would be if you were questioning whether or not the Powerball existed at all, or perhaps lotteries in general.

Saying, that you can't win it 40 times in a year doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you're confusing the existence of space with whether or not you'll go there 40 times in your lifetime.
 #66912  by 95percent
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm
No, the logical parallel to your analogy would be if you were questioning whether or not the Powerball existed at all, or perhaps lotteries in general.

Saying, that you can't win it 40 times in a year doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you're confusing the existence of space with whether or not you'll go there 40 times in your lifetime.
Fair enough point. I should have clarified I am making the argument that it is impossible to travel to space because it does not exist.

It is the same parameters that would set up a theoretical lottery where you have a one in 10 or 15 billion chances of winning and I might argue that that lottery is virtually impossible and perhaps even technically impossible. to win.
 #66914  by JohnnyP
 Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm
95percent wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm
PepperPeanut wrote:

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
JohnnyP wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:38 pm
You can see the curvature of the Earth from an airplane at 35,000ft. You wana know for sure if the Earth is flat or round? Buy a go pro and attach it do a helium filled balloon and let it go. You'll have your proof then.
You can see the curvature of lots of things that aren't round.
Name one thing