• Scientists find a link between low intelligence and acceptance of 'pseudo-profound bulls***'

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #83234  by PlusCaChange
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am
Interesting report but did you read it?
As expected, most participants labelled the mundane statements as 'not profound', and tended to rate the well-known profound statements highly.
I'm usually accused of making mundane statements, not vague, meaningless ones. The examples they give of bullshit are much more like astrology and new age philosophy.
As an example, they gave the following 'pseudo-profound' statement: "Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty."
I start with definitions and premises clearly stated (that's why I'm accused of being boring) and reason from there, there really is no resemblance at all.
 #83237  by Demeter
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am
Interesting report but did you read it?
As expected, most participants labelled the mundane statements as 'not profound', and tended to rate the well-known profound statements highly.
I'm usually accused of making mundane statements, not vague, meaningless ones. The examples they give of bullshit are much more like astrology and new age philosophy.
As an example, they gave the following 'pseudo-profound' statement: "Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty."
I start with definitions and premises clearly stated (that's why I'm accused of being boring) and reason from there, there really is no resemblance at all.
Yes, I read it. You use buzzwords to try to sound smarter than you are, and certain people here who lack the comprehension to actually understand anything, just assume you're actually intelligent.

And your statements often are a lot more vague and meaningless than you realize. Because you have such limited "knowledge" on the subjects you talk about. It's hilarious to intelligent people, but convincing to dumber ones.
kocher wrote:So stupid people believe stupid things?
To sum it up in a sentence, yeah, basically. Shouldn't have to explain it but sadly it's very relevant to this forum.
 #83238  by PlusCaChange
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 am
lemmiwinx wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 am
I accept all Demeter's 'psuedo-profound bulls***' as gospel. Does that mean I need to be institutionalized?
She doesn't so much spout pseudo-profound bullshit as have one big unsupportable premise, that animals are morally equivalent to humans, and a huge mental blind spot as to why she holds onto that premise despite it being manifestly untenable.
Kumacho liked this
 #83240  by Demeter
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 am
lemmiwinx wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 am
I accept all Demeter's 'psuedo-profound bulls***' as gospel. Does that mean I need to be institutionalized?
She doesn't so much spout pseudo-profound bullshit as have one big unsupportable premise, that animals are morally equivalent to humans, and a huge mental blind spot as to why she holds onto that premise despite it being manifestly untenable.

:lol: There you go again. Thanks for proving my point.
Last edited by Demeter on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #83242  by PlusCaChange
 Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am
You use buzzwords to try to sound smarter than you are,
I don't know how you can know how smart I am or even how you would assess my intelligence if you had the means. I suspect it would depend entirely on whether I accepted or rejected veganism and by that self-fulfilling standard I am indeed extraordinarily stupid as I not only think it absurd but can articulate why it is absurd.