• Have you ever had your beliefs changed?

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #84617  by Demeter
 Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 pm
If so, what belief did you have and what was your belief after? What changed your mind?

Please be as detailed as possible.

Also, do you believe you have the emotional maturity to change your mind even if the person explaining why you're wrong is being rude about it? Try to be as truthful as you know how to be.

Thanks.
 #84646  by PlusCaChange
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 am
Too often to count. The most recent important changes to my view of the world came from reading 'Debt the first 5,000 years' by David Graeber, his analysis is impressive even if I didn't always agree with his solutions to the problems he identifies. He made me see the fundamental assumptions of traditional economic theory are a sham.
 #84651  by Kumacho
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:57 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Too often to count. The most recent important changes to my view of the world came from reading 'Debt the first 5,000 years' by David Graeber, his analysis is impressive even if I didn't always agree with his solutions to the problems he identifies. He made me see the fundamental assumptions of traditional economic theory are a sham.
Of course it is a sham. Beginning with the first caveman who had more than others and was able to demand more in trade. Economic systems have always been created by those who have the most but want more. As such they will be flawed and created to make those who have to begin with even more empowered.
Tim_Kerr liked this
 #84656  by 2tall
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:04 am
Religion is a belief I had growing up that has become more and more like a fairy tale the older I get. Anyone with blind faith that tries to convince me of an all loving god that will send you to an eternity in Hell Fire for breaking a “rule”, usually just pisses me off. Religion is a way to control the masses and make a buck. Period.
Demeter liked this
 #84662  by PlusCaChange
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 am
Kumacho wrote:
PlusCaChange wrote:
Of course it is a sham. Beginning with the first caveman who had more than others and was able to demand more in trade. Economic systems have always been created by those who have the most but want more. As such they will be flawed and created to make those who have to begin with even more empowered.
That's not what I meant. Graeber, who is an anthropologist, makes a compelling case for the origin of money in the need for kings to pay soldiers rather than the traditional idea of a replacement for inconvenient barter economy. He points out barter economies only come into being when an existing money/market economy breaks down. The original economic organization isn't barter but credit, in the sense of you do something for me today and I do something for you later. There's a lot more to to it but the implications are far reaching. It trows a quite different light on history.
 #84665  by Kumacho
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 am
Kumacho wrote:
PlusCaChange wrote:
That's not what I meant. Graeber, who is an anthropologist, makes a compelling case for the origin of money in the need for kings to pay soldiers rather than the traditional idea of a replacement for inconvenient barter economy. He points out barter economies only come into being when an existing money/market economy breaks down. The original economic organization isn't barter but credit, in the sense of you do something for me today and I do something for you later. There's a lot more to to it but the implications are far reaching. It trows a quite different light on history.
I know my point was probably lost in that previous post. At four am, before morning coffee and after taking the dogs out, I ramble and even in my best posts my intent is, at times, difficult to discern.

Since I was writing to you and not the typical forum troll; I should have written it better.

My point was that economic systems are inherently flawed because they are created by the aristocracy.
 #84692  by joecaca
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 am
2tall wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:04 am
Religion is a belief I had growing up that has become more and more like a fairy tale the older I get. Anyone with blind faith that tries to convince me of an all loving god that will send you to an eternity in Hell Fire for breaking a “rule”, usually just pisses me off. Religion is a way to control the masses and make a buck. Period.
Ahhhh DickSmall sharing a thought. :)
 #84694  by Hakik
 Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 am
I used to believe in the tooth fairy, Hogwarts, God, 9/11 conspiracies, pussy trolls, veganism, and all that dumb-dumb shit. Luckily I grew up, got smart and educated, and changed my beliefs.