• How much redundancy/backup do you keep in your life?

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #85244  by Hakik
 Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm
My gf pointed out today that I have emergency/spares for everything.

I always have a backup laptop, on top of already having two laptops, one for work, one for leisure/travel. Even in my desktop, I have a second hard drive with a separate OS and a duplicate of all my folders, in case something happens to my main HD, or I get a devastating virus, I can just continue as normal. That's on top of still having my old desktop.

I always gotta have at least 2 cars. I know I can get an Uber or fix whatever problem. My insurance can even lend me a car. But if something happens and I'm in a hurry to get to work or something, it's nice to just get in the other car.

I used to even have 2 PS3s, so if one would die in the middle of a game or watching Netflix, I could just keep going on the other one.

There's hardly anything I don't have some sort of spare/backup for. I just hate having to be without something or having to wait if there's a breakdown.
happysock liked this
 #85264  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 am
There's a Charles Addams cartoon I've always wanted to have printed on a shirt. The scene is a street corner in a city a small meek sort of man is standing next to his large bossy wife who wears a stunned expression. He is smugly blowing out the barrels of a huge double rifle, before them, collapsed against a bent street sign is an enormous bull elephant. The caption reads:

"So help me Henry, I will never nag you for carrying that elephant gun around again!"
 #85286  by cunnalingus
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:50 am
Hakik wrote:

I always have a backup laptop, on top of already having two laptops, one for work, one for leisure/travel. Even in my desktop, I have a second hard drive with a separate OS and a duplicate of all my folders, in case something happens to my main HD, or I get a devastating virus, I can just continue as normal. That's on top of still having my old desktop.

I always gotta have at least 2 cars. I know I can get an Uber or fix whatever problem. My insurance can even lend me a car. But if something happens and I'm in a hurry to get to work or something, it's nice to just get in the other car.

I used to even have 2 PS3s, so if one would die in the middle of a game or watching Netflix, I could just keep going on the other one.

There's hardly anything I don't have some sort of spare/backup for. I just hate having to be without something or having to wait if there's a breakdown.
What about if Demeter leaves? Who will you spend all day with in tiny chat debating unimportant matters with? Do you have backup? Are you prepared? Her diet isn’t going to keep her around forever.
 #85290  by kocher
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 am
Most spares I have are of a different brand/style for luxury (shoes, car, etc). I wouldn't buy a spare of anything I can readily go out and buy at a store at any given moment unless it served a function my primary item couldn't perform.
 #85330  by happysock
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 am
Hakik wrote:

List makes sense to me. Always have a back up. I keep at least 2 extra fleshlights at all times!!! OP you should also get a back up girlfriend.
 #85358  by Kumacho
 Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm
You seem a bit OCD to me. Do you organize your sock drawer, hell do you have a sock drawer!

P.S. My current wife (wife number 3 for those of you counting) has over 330 pairs of toe socks. That's not even counting her normal socks.

I don't think I own a total of 330 pieces of clothing. Hell, I'd bet that even if I included my towels and washcloths I couldn't come up with 330...