• LOL at Canada and its people!

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #90142  by PlusCaChange
 Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
cunnalingus wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18 am
BWAHAHAAH not much of a boast.... you’re using statistics, try applying that to the population. That’s over 110million overweight in the states and around 10.5 million in canada. I’d say that’s a significant difference and a lot to boast about. Fuck man that’s over three times the Canadian population as a whole is fat like you plusdachange.
I included the Japanese to show what's achievable, there are always going to be some fat people when food, particularly the wrong kind of food, is readily available and there are no unavoidable physical demands. By the standard of Japan there isn't much difference between the USA and Canada.

I believe you mentioned you are an accountant? Not one that uses statistics or actuarial tables I hope, or was that comparison of the absolute number rather than the rate supposed to be some kind of humor?
 #90305  by PlusCaChange
 Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 am
cunnalingus wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 pm
I wouldn't call Western Civilization noble, nobility is a character of aristocratic, warrior cultures, Western Civilization is effective, it's capable and adaptive but not noble. I see it rather as Winston Churchill saw democracy, "the worst sort of civilization, except for all the others".

The funny thing is, just at the moment Western Civilization became ascendant it began to doubt itself. Then WWI caused a crisis which has yet to be resolved. Now we are subjected to a constant stream of bullshit about non-Western cultures, showing only the few ways in which they seem better than Western Civilization and ignoring the many, many ways in which they are much worse.

All civilizations are amalgams of what has gone before. Western Civilization was alloyed out of Middle Eastern and even some Oriental as well as European elements. It is by far the best thing achieved by mankind so far but there is no reason why it should stay ascendant. Most likely the emerging global culture will be a remix of Western and other elements. I don't think any purpose is served by preserving cultures like artifacts in a museum. Culture must adapt to changing circumstances, nowadays that mostly means adapting to our own technology. We should try and conserve the things from the past which best served human needs but not stop the world turning.
 #90308  by joecaca
 Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:05 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
cunnalingus wrote:
I wouldn't call Western Civilization noble, nobility is a character of aristocratic, warrior cultures, Western Civilization is effective, it's capable and adaptive but not noble. I see it rather as Winston Churchill saw democracy, "the worst sort of civilization, except for all the others".

The funny thing is, just at the moment Western Civilization became ascendant it began to doubt itself. Then WWI caused a crisis which has yet to be resolved. Now we are subjected to a constant stream of bullshit about non-Western cultures, showing only the few ways in which they seem better than Western Civilization and ignoring the many, many ways in which they are much worse.

All civilizations are amalgams of what has gone before. Western Civilization was alloyed out of Middle Eastern and even some Oriental as well as European elements. It is by far the best thing achieved by mankind so far but there is no reason why it should stay ascendant. Most likely the emerging global culture will be a remix of Western and other elements. I don't think any purpose is served by preserving cultures like artifacts in a museum. Culture must adapt to changing circumstances, nowadays that mostly means adapting to our own technology. We should try and conserve the things from the past which best served human needs but not stop the world turning.
Were you talking to me?
 #90316  by cunnalingus
 Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 am
PlusCaChange wrote:
cunnalingus wrote:

AngryGeriatric liked this
 #90395  by Tim_Kerr
 Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:42 pm