• I may have found the location of a real buried treasure (and there are 9 more out there)

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #105687  by HolidayFriday
 Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:36 pm
dropofahat wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 am
HolidayFriday wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:21 pm
Well, he would have access to any and all information including hard-to-find clues and "folk lore". That's generally how his searches begin - like when they looked for the treasure that Japanese General supposedly ditched in the Philippines? They had all the people and information available to them right off the top.
Rrrriiiight, and he always finds treasure that way.

From what I've seen and read, anyone who follows only the existing interpretations of clues isn't going to find the NYC casque - Josh Gates did exactly that on the show, and got exactly nowhere.

There are competing theories, very few of which cover all the "clues" and the "harder to find" clues tend to be further down their own rabbit hole. There is one particular bias that the treasure hunters in this group tend to have that I think is why they have failed so far.
He has never actually found a treasure of any kind as far as I know. They always make it just so far before they're stopped by something like local law or a suicidal underwater tunnel.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you find it. Keep us posted.
 #105747  by dropofahat
 Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 am
HolidayFriday wrote:
He has never actually found a treasure of any kind as far as I know. They always make it just so far before they're stopped by something like local law or a suicidal underwater tunnel.
Right, I mean, it's a show and he's the host - he's basically an actor. He's introducing us to the idea of the treasure. And I'm glad he did!

Incidentally, he said in the episode that this was his favorite adventure.
HolidayFriday wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I hope you find it. Keep us posted.
Thanks, I will.

I visited the site I have in mind yesterday, and everything I was looking for clicked. (There is something that is now obstructed from view due to development, but it's a minor part of the theory, and still works.)

It wasn't until after I left and thought about it for awhile that I narrowed it down to a fairly small dig area.

The real problem is that the area is being renovated and there are police barriers up nearby (not right at the dig site, but still), so probing and digging are even more risky.

I decided to do some volunteer work, so I can get a shirt and have a reason for being there. If I get caught, at least I'll know some names and can play dumb.
 #108181  by dropofahat
 Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 am
I decided against the idea of illegally digging - the potential fines make it way too much of a risk.

I applied for a "research permit" - which was quickly turned down, as expected. The guy at the city parks permit office was very nice, he recommended a way to potentially get some wiggle room from the Central Park Conservancy.

I did what he said, and they got back to me surprisingly quickly - most of the email seemed like a solid "no", but in the last sentence, they said that if I told them where I thought it was, they "may have an interest in investigating it in order to curtail potential future damage to the Park".

Which was part of my pitch all along - once it's found, people will stop digging illegally and irresponsibly in parks all over the city.

So there's hope. If they do agree to "investigate", it sounds like they'll be digging themselves - and I have no idea if they'll let me keep the item. Still, if it is there, solving the puzzle will be its own reward.
 #111233  by Tim_Kerr
 Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 pm
cunnalingus wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Any news of dropofahat? While searching for this treasure did he become some hicks sexual plaything like in deliverance?
he probably stopped at some parade :( :o
 #113794  by dropofahat
 Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:59 pm
cunnalingus wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:17 pm
Any news of dropofahat? While searching for this treasure did he become some hicks sexual plaything like in deliverance?
My search is in NYC.

If anything, I would have become the sexual plaything of a slick fast-talking urbanite.

I'm still in bureaucratic red-tape hell. Someone who's making a documentary about the search is convinced I'm onto something, and he sent my theory to the author's daughter, who doesn't know for sure where the item is buried, but her clout should be able to help get me a dig permit. I hope.