• Van Life

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #130654  by Demeter
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm
I typed out this whole essay about how excited I am to live in a van because it's going to solve all my problems but I accidentally closed the page when I was looking for this gif.

I don't feel like typing it out again but that sums it up anyway.

Have any of you ever lived in a van?

I'm gonna hook it up so it's a little home. Gonna make custom furniture and cabinets for it using stuff I already have, and then eventually work my way towards adding all this stuff as I gain more money: http://a.co/9IiOS4b It's gonna get me through university and I'm really excited to not have to waste $1000 a month living with people who smell bad and I hate. It's not without its challenges but it will be so worth it once all the work is done. I wish I had thought of it a long time ago.

At first it will probably look a little something like this:

But over time I'm gonna upgrade it to look a little more something like this:

I've been watching this guy's channel a lot the past few days and it's really educational and interesting. Can't wait to be doing it myself. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGu5fP ... PI_3nVcnsQ
Last edited by Demeter on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #130658  by JohnnyP
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:56 pm
Ronny_Slobs wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 pm
Where are you going to park?
Ronny is asking so he can violently sodomize you with various meat products.
 #130659  by Demeter
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:01 pm
JohnnyP wrote:
That too.
Ronny_Slobs wrote:Where are you going to park?
Well, I was gonna try to rent someone's parking spot that isn't being used somewhere near the university, and hopefully get access to their wifi as well. That would be ideal. But I might just park a new place every night to keep myself safe.
JohnnyP wrote:
Ronny_Slobs wrote:
Where are you going to park?
Ronny is asking so he can violently sodomize you with various meat products.
One of the first things I'm going to get is a little taser I'll keep next to me at all times.
 #130660  by Ronny_Slobs
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm
On a serious note look for how to make the lightest weight cabinetry for vans because if you build all your shit out of wood kiss your gas mileage goodbye. Basically it's foamboard with a hard plastic panels that you glue onto it for strength. Entire shelving should weight like 15 pounds total. Also your going to need power tools and a work place with plenty of space so you have to figure that out. Your a hard core vegan so you can buy your nuts, dried fruits and shit, plan on going grocery shopping more then once a week. Better get a funnel and about 4 ft of tubing to piss in, makes life so much easier. Also look into a fabric store to cover the windows. Check out craigslist for vans. Great deals out there for sure. Customise it to your liking, don't buy an already made one and be lazy, that will cost at least $25,000.00. Search in or type in camper vans in craigslist, some are pre-gutted that people were going to convert and then life happened and they need to sell it, save you 20 hours of time. Ummmm. Look into getting someone to do the solar panels on the roof and plan space for at least 3 car batteries to charge. That can actually run your laptop and a small fridge 24 hours a day. Look into parking and RV storage on craigslist, they have good deals like $50 a month parking in someones yard or lot in a nice neighborhood so you can get used to parking in the same spot for security/sanity instead of winging it every night because that can get daunting.
Demeter liked this
 #130663  by Demeter
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 pm
Ronny_Slobs wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm
On a serious note look for how to make the lightest weight cabinetry for vans because if you build all your shit out of wood kiss your gas mileage goodbye. Basically it's foamboard with a hard plastic panels that you glue onto it for strength. Entire shelving should weight like 15 pounds total. Also your going to need power tools and a work place with plenty of space so you have to figure that out. Your a hard core vegan so you can buy your nuts, dried fruits and shit, plan on going grocery shopping more then once a week. Better get a funnel and about 4 ft of tubing to piss in, makes life so much easier. Also look into a fabric store to cover the windows. Check out craigslist for vans. Great deals out there for sure. Customise it to your liking, don't buy an already made one and be lazy, that will cost at least $25,000.00. Search in or type in camper vans in craigslist, some are pre-gutted that people were going to convert and then life happened and they need to sell it, save you 20 hours of time. Ummmm. Look into getting someone to do the solar panels on the roof and plan space for at least 3 car batteries to charge. That can actually run your laptop and a small fridge 24 hours a day. Look into parking and RV storage on craigslist, they have good deals like $50 a month parking in someones yard or lot in a nice neighborhood so you can get used to parking in the same spot for security/sanity instead of winging it every night because that can get daunting.
That's very helpful advice, thank you. I will definitely be looking into the foam/plastic shelving. Currently I'm thinking about using my mom's old expandable table that she's had in the garage and isn't using, to hold up my mattress. Then underneath it I was going to try to modify my shelving unit/tv stand to stabilize the table and obviously double as storage organization, then I would lay a sheet of wood on it and have a stand for it so it could double as a table/desk when I need it. Then on the other side (where the back doors open) I would store my bike underneath the table and other things like water and batteries and stuff I don't use often or want out of sight. But maybe that's too much wood, IDK.
 #130665  by Ronny_Slobs
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:27 pm
keep searching away on youtube, I looked at van videos for 2 years strait and learned something new every night. So many good ideas, plenty and so much you can't think of it all. So helpful. Best of luck to you.
Demeter liked this
 #130666  by Hakik
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:27 pm
That's great. You already take shits in the trash bin in your room, and don't know much about hygiene anyway, so you were halfway there.
JohnnyP liked this
 #130667  by Demeter
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:37 pm
I've never taken a shit in a trash bin. That toilet will just be used at night when there are no public bathrooms open, and I'll dispose of any waste ASAP. Also, I'll be showering at least once a day at the gym, and eventually I'll even hook up a little sink that can double as an outdoor shower if I ever go camping. The wipes will also come in handy at night/early in the morning. And one of the reasons van life appeals so much to me is because cleanliness is so important to me. I'm so exhausted from living with dirty people. It forces me to constantly be agitated because I'm tempted to clean up after them but at the same time it's so fucking gross I don't want to touch it, and shouldn't have to.
kocher liked this