• Spam and You: What You Need To Know

• If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
If it doesn't fit in another forum, chances are it belongs here.
 #170265  by PepperPeanut
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:40 am
So spam has been a problem on this forum for a long time. I mean, I don't need to fucking tell YOU that, but I just did so relax.

When the forums were hacked and we moved to these new forums we changed forum software for a number of reasons, none of which are relevant (or all that interesting), but what we learned is that this forum software isn't as well supported or flexible as the previous software we were using. Why the fuck does that matter? Because it's been a struggle to find a good solution to the problems that naturally face a forum, (i.e. SPAM).

Hakik and the mods did a good and thankless job of cleaning up the pages and pages of spam they saw every day but at some point, it's not their responsibility and the forums, and as you know, ultimately succumbed to wave after wave of dick pill and keto links.

I've recently made some changes that throttled the incoming of new users so that they have to be reviewed manually. So I'm periodically checking in on the new users that are signing up, banning the IPs of obvious spammers, and approving those that seem genuinely interested in shitposting and dumbfucking on the forums.

This isn't the most sustainable option, as there are days I'll be away or won't have time to be screening these assholes, but this is a stop-gap solution until we get a better spam filtering solution in place.

I understand if it's too little, too late, but I'm working on it.

Now back to the shitposting.

And to the spammers:
 #170285  by frizzo
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm
Like bringing flex-tape to the Titanic. Forum spam is the least of your problems, but it's the thought that counts, I guess. (What?! Equality demands that this place gets the same level of disdain as the normal features.)
 #170287  by PepperPeanut
 Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:42 pm
lemmiwinx wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:32 pm
This development gives me a renewed respect for humanity.
uknowthat1chick wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:34 pm
Hopefully someone stocked more hot dogs in the chatroom, and they have not been in anyone's asshole or vag.
frizzo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:17 pm
Like bringing flex-tape to the Titanic. Forum spam is the least of your problems, but it's the thought that counts, I guess. (What?! Equality demands that this place gets the same level of disdain as the normal features.)
Yeah, I tend to agree. I think it deserves the same amount of disdain.
 #170295  by lemmiwinx
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:45 am
chrisvet wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 am
Scottpro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:54 pm
EBW has a forums page? Well fuck me.
Many eons ago this forum was massive.
The forum came first then the so-called front page. This was back in the day of 56k dial-up modems.
 #170299  by Tim_Kerr
 Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:19 am

no boner pills tho :( :( :(